Monday 17 January 2011

For Broseph: Snickerdoodle Blondies

Pin It

When my brother read last week's post on savory things, he was less than thrilled.  Even though he loves ceviche, it seems he reads this blog for the sugar and butter, not the olive oil and salt (mmmmmmm salt).  So, for my brother, because I love him (yes, I said it, don't blush, now!) and because he makes me laugh more than anyone else I know: snickerdoodle blondies.


It's no secret that Snickerdoodles have always been a favorite of mine.  They're sweet without being too rich, spiced without being too spicy, and just the right combo of soft and chewy.  Not to mention how easy they are.  But you know what's even easier?  Blondies.


Seriously, why bother rolling dough into balls and then rolling those in cinnamon and sugar, when you can just mash the dough into a [gorgeous new Orla Kiely] baking dish?


I will tell you this much: these puppies did not disappoint.  I was worried I'd built them up too much in my head– the blog post where I got them has been languishing in my 'Recipes' bookmarks folder for months– but they lived up to the hype!  They were just sweet enough, just chewy enough, and just spicy enough to hit every craving on my list.


If you needed any convincing, how's this: they were all gone within 24 hours of cooling enough to snarf.  That was a lot of blondies, and they were scarfed by maybe 7 or 8 people, max.  Seriously.  Nom.


So, bro, here's the recipe!  It's easy enough that you could even make them for yourself (and you probably even have all the ingredients already), although I'm sure you can convince the gf if you're nice to her.

Snickerdoodle Blondies
adapted slightly (for laziness purposes) from The Sweets Life

Preheat oven to 350/175, and grease a 9x13 pan (Orla Kiely, if that's your bag and your bf knows it).

In a big bowl, cream:
     1c (225g) butter
     2c brown sugar (or 1.5c brown, .5c white, if that's what you have!)

Beat in:
     2 eggs, room temp
     1 tbsp vanilla

Whisk together in a separate bowl, then mix into batter (I suggest enlisting a strapping youth or using an electric mixer, because this stuff is tough):
     2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
     2 tsp baking powder
     1 tsp cinnamon
     1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Spread dough into pan, and sprinkle with a mix of:
     2 tbsp sugar
     2 tsp cinnamon
     a pinch of nutmeg

Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.  Try to let them cool before snarfing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you guys, so if you have a question or a comment, or even just a random outburst like OMNOMNOM, please post it here!